Monday, December 25, 2006

links, and a strange dyslexia I am experiencing

Equanimity, Charisma, Enlightenment, satori, asceticism,

Ocular dominance and Anisometropia and cross-dominance.

Other Notes: I have farsightedness in my left eye, and nearsightedness in my right eye. Before I began to wear glasses, my art teachers noticed a decided 'slant' to some of my work, especially when concerning the human body. I would reverse hands on the figure without noticing the problem.

I favour my right hand for most tasks - but can use my left hand for legible writing and taking up of other tasks more convenient to the left (shooting across the table in pool - grabbing something that is falling etc.) I am decidedly left-leg dominant (aches after a walk of several miles to a much greater degree when the muscles are not used to the activity).




Personal Note: There are two things that assist me in reading comprehension - that is, to absorb deep or difficult material with certainty that it has been understood.

method 1: To read at normal pace, and - when something particularily seems important and/or difficult to wrap my head around, to write it out with my right hand while looking at it with my dominant left eye.

method 2: To put on wordless flowing music (classical strings or orchestral are perfect for this) at a medium tone. I believe that this occupies my right brain just enough that it relinquishes some dominance over the reading of the text to the left brain - which can better deal with the language concepts. This is not always practical - but for true study, it is useful.



However - since I have a strange ability to draw large works, possessing of often literal symbolic translations - perhaps all of this shows some that my right brain takes a part in my language processing, moreso than is normal or average - and perhaps it has interfered with some of my learning in the past.

When I was six years old in the first grade, my teacher came to the house to speak with my mother. I was not learning to read as quickly as my peers - even though I seemed to pick up on things very quickly in general - there were certain elements that seemed very difficult, specifically words where the letters were unlike their sounds (laugh, cough, other, hour) etc.

My mother does not read or write very well, either - but she is a very artistic person. After speaking with my mother - the teacher began private tutoring with me She brought me a set of books, which were to be read in order - and a children's Bible. I did a lot of extra reading practice - out loud, and silently. Before the halfway point of the year (midterm) - I was promoted to the advanced reading group within the class. (Mrs. Nikki Holden - I am still in your debt for this, although I have not seen you since this time and I know you have passed away.)

This was also the time we were learning to write - and several of my letters, although appearing forwards, were drawn in reverse order of what was taught - starting a letter 'B' at the bottom right, or a letter 'N' at the right side going to the left. I still catch myself doing this on occasion - and can write legibly with my left hand, and backwards legibly with my right hand, as well as forwards.

Something about all of this - not the typical dyslexia, but something akin to it - is still being experienced in my adult life. It is not exactly hampering - and can even be helpful - if I learn where to improve it(where it is deficient from 'normal') and where it excels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home