Sunday, April 09, 2006

On the geek desk: geometry, optics and related books

I'm sure the urge for 20-something American women to do math doesn't happen out-of-the-blue much, at least not around here, in this day and age... but I had gotten a few questions in my head this week that wouldn't let my curiosity give up, until they were answered.

The Questions (that started it all)

When parallel lines of light hit a certain type of lens -- what does it look like : Answered, easy when I looked for it. It was a convergent type of lens -- and they all DUH converge... onto one point, then go back out from there...

Review the basic properties of circles, curves and angles via some good OLD geometry resources. For some reason, the language used in the older books just hits the spot for me -- it clicks where newer books usually leave me staring at the page blankly.

Right now, I'm drinking strong coffee, and working out connections between geometry, art and optics in a tablet with nice black ink. It is really inspiring some creative art as well. Better pictures of the real art later ;o)


My Books (on the Geek Desk)

Leibniz Selections: c. 1951 Charles Scribner's Sons
Elementary Plane Geometry Self-Taught: Lawrence A. Barrett Little Blue Book No. 748 marked 3/16/1929 by original owner
Practical Physics: by N. Henry Black and Harvey N. Davis 1923 The MacMillan Company
Algebra and Trigonometry: Rees, Spark and Rees 1975
University Physics, Jeff Sanny & William Moebs 1996 (vol.2 Optics)
Copied from book at library (reference book) : the Geometry (book 1) by Rene Descartes


On the Geek Screen

Online Article: René Descartes' Curve-Drawing Devices: Experiments in the Relations Between Mechanical Motion and Symbolic Language
Online Article: Convergent lens and the real image

Online Figures: Deviation of rays by convergent lens

Online PDF (excellent!) : Geometric Optics <--dream come true resource.


Amazon wishlist

Euclid's Geometry
Archimedes
Euclid's window looks interesting
Descartes' Geometry (full version)


For my own memory: Essentials of Analytic Geometry 1939 by Professor Raymond Brinks of the University of Minnesota. I have a copy of this somewhere!! I haven't been able to find it since our move :o( It was the first book that made polar coordinates click in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home