Sunday, April 16, 2006

on Leonardo da Vinci (again)

I spoke some in another post about Leonardo da Vinci -- and today have found more that is on the same cue.

Leonardo da Vinci said:

"Let no one read me who is not a mathematician."

I guess I really do need to study more ;o)


from the book 'The Age of Adventure' 1956 - compiled by Giorgio De Santillana

It begins with a chapter again telling how Leonardo did not lay out his theories as did other learned men and 'philosophers' of the age -- but goes on to say this...

The universe that Leonardo saw was a logically tight universe, fit for profound meditation; but he was not interested in trying for what he felt could not be done, namely, translating the universe into purely verbal tightness.

He refused to think in words only, as the scholastics did. He was searching for a passage towards a new language. What that language itself was, Leonardo tried to establish through soundings that range over many depths, from the portrayal of form to applied mathematics.


Dartmouth's outline of Leonardo speaks a bit more about Leonardo's mathematics and just above that, his trouble with the NeoPlatonists, the philosophers mentioned above.

The paths I myself am looking to take are very well-trodden. Studying mathematics is not going to tell me everything I want to know. However, a deep scanning of many related subjects (which will require knowing math to do) will bring me closer. Leonardo da Vinci's life's work is exemplary of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home