Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Planetary and Epicyclic Gears (and notes)

We got some sleep last night - but also watched some Netflix-generated MacGyver... it is nostalgic to see him pull down a helicopter with a car-winch (season 1 - ep 1) and etc etc.. things you don't really notice when you are a kid, that wouldn't really work! I also liked the chocolate bars plugging up a large acid leak in the pilot... would have to do some research on that one... force behind it, size of the bars, bare hands etc etc...

Here is where my brain was this morning (spec. planetary gear systems and pulleys) about 8 am. I had drawn a little mechanical doodle while in a morning meeting. Actually, I had to ask a few people if they recognized it! I couldn't remember what it was exactly... just that I had seen it before and it made sense. It was something close to the epicyclic gear in the second article.

The worst thing I've noticed as I get older, is that the longer I don't use some bit of knowledge, the easier it is for me to forget the specifics of it.. and get confused by the generalities as well.

Online Reference Links

Planetary Gears: Online article : How stuff works
Epicyclic Gears : Online article : Sun and Planet Epicyclic Train
Online Article: This one has a nice 3D image in it
Online Chapter: A good reference on Gears in general with lots of good equations and diagrams.

Oh wow!
I can buy a science toy to try it out *wishlist* --> Planetary Gear Box Set
I have a nice little set of pulleys, magnets, pipe-fittings, faucet valves and other physics toys that are at home. It has been a while since I played around with them. :o(

Back to Python Land! I have some web forms to generate and process dynamically. I worked on them some yesterday, but the plan changed at the meeting.. *sigh* so I have to go back and rework them to the new specs.

Oh my can I get distracted -->
I'm linking these so I can read them later and do work now
Propositionnal Calculus
Logical Connectives

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home